The UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Culture in Europe has entrusted Fondazione Santagata to conduct a study on cultural policies in the Western Balkans.
Fondazione Santagata will analyse the cultural policy scenarios in the region, assessing them against the benchmark of international standards and best practices, in order to assess needs, produce recommendations and a road map for further capacity-building action which combine specialised training and advice for policy improvement.
The study will serve to inform the capacity-building dimension of the EU-funded programme “Culture and Creativity for the Western Balkans” (CC4WBs), managed by UNESCO as lead partner in cooperation with the British Council and the Italian Agency for Cooperation and Development. The project aims at encouraging dialogue amongst the Western Balkans through the promotion of the cultural and creative sectors in order to enhance its social and economic impact.
The project includes a capacity-building component to support policy development , encourage regional cultural cooperation, improve the management of cultural heritage, stimulate the production, distribution and access to the diversity of cultural expressions, and reinforce public-private partnerships within the cultural and creative sectors.
The study will investigate the institutional, legal, policy and operational frameworks related to the management of cultural heritage, the safeguarding of intangible heritage, and the protection and promotion of the diversity of cultural expressions in the Western Balkans. The study will also investigate how gender equality, intercultural dialogue, social inclusion and youth empowerment are integrated in the cultural and creative sectors as cross-cutting priorities.
The study envisages the following activities:
- defining a common reference framework to investigate cultural policies in individual local contexts
- analysis of cultural policy scenarios within the region, including against the background of relevant international standards
- assessment of local scenarios
- elaboration of conclusions and recommendations within the scope of the CC4WBs project.
The study is expected to:
- identify strengths and weaknesses of cultural policies in the region
- provide recommendations for the CC4WBs project partners to design activities in oder to maximise the benefit for its direct beneficiaries, with special focus on capacity-building activities aimed at increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of cultural policies.